Canonical USA Inc. — Cloud Engineering (07/2010 - present)
Zope Corporation; Fredericksburg, VA (11/2004 - 07/2010)
Senior Software Engineer
- team lead for 5-7 direct reports
- lead development of Zope Corp's flagship product (Zope4Media, a SAAS web publishing system) from early phase development to initial deployment and through 3 years of production operation and enhancement; serving several terabytes of data monthly spread out over hundreds of web sites
- applied continuous improvement to every aspect of my team
- implemented several productive agile project management improvements:
- daily stand-ups
- code reviews
- feature queues
- designated interruptible person
- put in place productive employee management techniques:
- feedback model
- mentored junior developers
- was actively involved in operational activities:
- monitoring system activity
- diagnosing performance problems
- defining production hardware and software configurations
- initiated or contributed to many open source projects used in our daily work (e.g., testbrowser and manuel)
CalsonicKansei North America; Shelbyville, TN (08/1999 - 11/2004)
Developed mission critical minicomputer, server, client-server, and web applications for an international automotive manufacturing company with over a billion dollars in annual sales.
Designed and developed supply chain web applications with over 1400 users and over 10,000 logins monthly. These applications contributed significantly to cost reduction and efficiency improvements and allowed vendors to receive orders, send advanced shipment notifications (ASNs), view remittance information, consult their full account history, view company published documents, and other functions.
Developed a system to monitor networks and servers distributed over thirteen sites in North America. The system allowed the IT department to quickly identify and correct network outages and system faults.
Developed the internal system every salaried employee uses to create, store, and submit performance reviews and yearly objectives.
Utilized the vast array of Open Source software available on-line to implement these and many other systems at little or no cost.
Generally improved the software development processes and standards while becoming a valued resource for the team.
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science from Tennessee Technological University, Cookeville, TN
Studied diverse computer science subjects such as Algorithms, Data Structures, Object Oriented Design, Artificial Intelligence. Studied various programming languages including C, C++, Java, and VAX assembly. Developed various class projects including a 3D visualization system for object-oriented software re-engineering.
- Expert in Python
- Experienced in C and C++
- Familiar with Java, Pascal, Visual Basic, PHP, and many others
- Operating systems: Linux, Windows (95/98/NT/2000/XP/2003), MPE/iX, Unix, and OpenBSD
- Software engineering techniques and best practices
- Networking: TCP/IP, HTTP, SMTP, firewalls, etc.
- Markup languages: HTML and XML
- Concurrent (multi-threaded and multi-processor) techniques
- GUI development (wxWindows, Tk, and MFC)
- Bar code symbologies, printers, scanners, and RF terminals
- Software and system security: applications, precautions, and techniques
- Working understanding of accounting, inventory, manufacturing, etc.